Mary, Aid, Ed and Pete at Ocean View Hotel restaurant, Central Coast, NSW

Wednesday, February 16

Willunga and McLaren Vale

As the Indian Pacific pulled slowly into Adelaide Parklands station after our memorable 24 hour trip from Sydney, we spotted our friends Gene and Julian on the platform. Less than 90 mins after the warm welcome, we had picked up our hire car in the city and driven to McLaren Vale for an emergency dental appointment that Gene had kindly arranged for me. After that it was back to their lovely new home in Willunga for a dip in the pool where I managed to cut my knee on the sharp edge of the step requiring dressing. On the assumption that bad things happen in threes (dentist, cut knee...), I awaited the third with trepidation.

My mind was subsequently distracted by aperitifs prior to a thoroughly enjoyable (drink fuelled) dinner with next door neighbours, Pete and Annie, who had kindly let us stay in their house last year when they were away.

The following morning we awoke to a torrential rainstorm, which was apparently the first rain they had had since before Christmas and was courtesy of Cyclone Yasi (which also caused the rain we’d encountered earlier in NSW). We were then invited to coffee in a converted local church, which I can safely say is a first. I followed this with a run and another dip in the pool. However, the third bad thing duly arrived when I realised that my mobile phone was in my back pocket and was now inundated with water. My mind was then further distracted by a trip to several McLaren Vale wineries and a brewery, which served as a great way to celebrate Julian’s birthday. Fortunately, Gene was subsequently able to supply me with a spare Telstra phone and my sim card worked okay.

In the evening, Julian cooked a lamb meal using a clever Aussie device called an Easy Cook in which you insert the meat and vegetables inside a glass container and it cooks by convection, quicker and more evenly than conventional cookers. Apparently, Aussie caravanners wouldn’t leave home without one.

On our 3rd day, I got up early and cycled through the vineyards to McLaren Vale and back and we then experienced the Willunga weekly farmers’ market, featuring an amazing variety of local quality produce and some definitely alternative folk. We concluded our most enjoyable stay with a visit into the Adelaide Hills and (you’ve guessed it) a couple of wineries; K1 alongside a beautiful lake with an avenue of Agapanthus and Lazy Ballerina containing an English rose garden.

We are looking forward to reciprocating the hospitality when Gene and Julian come to the UK in May for the first time in over 20 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment